On Screen C1 p 22. (Ex 2 Listening. Talk about where you live)

Speaking:

With a partner talk about where you live 


Listening

Before listening, try to fill in the gaps with only ONE word

Progress check 1 – Exercise 2 (p. 22)
Speaker 1
I’m not close to anything around here. But that’s (1)__________ why I chose it. I need solitude and silence for my work. (2)_____________ the traffic and all the entertainment in the city, I couldn’t concentrate. It really irritated me. I know a lot of people wouldn’t be able to (3)__________ with the isolation here and I have to admit it does get (4)_____________ me sometimes. There are days when I yearn (5)___________ some human contact but, thankfully, those days are few and (6)___________ between. If I had to choose a downside, I’d say it (7)___________ be the fact that I need to have a car. There’s no train station near here and the bus system doesn’t service this area and I need to (8)________ provisions.

Speaker 2
I’ve lived in this neighbourhood my whole life and I have a strong (9)___________ to it. My parents had a house the next street over, where I grew up, and it was the perfect place to (10)__________ a family. It’s got good schools, great parks, all the amenities you need and an excellent public transport system. It was obvious to me that I belonged here. (11)________________, when I got married myself I couldn’t imagine moving (12)____________ else. I’m lucky my wife agreed with me about the merits (13)____________ living here. I guess the only drawback to (14)__________ in such a close-knit community is that there are no secrets. Everybody knows everything about everybody else so any news or gossip spreads like (15)_____________.
Speaker 3
Village life isn’t for everyone. The lack of opportunity puts a lot of people (16)___________, young people especially. Quite a few of the younger generation move to the city as soon as they’re old (17)___________, for work or to study. That’s what my own kids did and it was the right move for them but I actually did the exact opposite. I grew up in the city and it was just too much for me. Everyone was just so aggressive. I guess I longed (18)__________ a slower way of life, and I found it here. Everything is just more relaxed. I do miss the nightlife. There’s not exactly a wealth (19)____________ entertainment on the (20)__________ when you live in a place that only has around one thousand inhabitants, but I don’t really mind.
Speaker 4
This is a great place to live, but I don’t think I want to stay here forever. The (21)__________ of life here is hectic, very different to where I grew up. I suppose that might be part of the problem. Everyone is running around so much they don’t take the time to connect with each other. That’s what I miss about home. (22)____________ up in a place where everyone knows you has its drawbacks but you could rely (23)__________ your neighbours. I still don’t know mine and I’ve been here a year already. It gets a bit lonely sometimes but I had to come. I mean, I had no choice. The course I wanted to do isn’t offered in any of the schools back home.
Speaker 5
It’s a bit overwhelming and quite an adjustment living on your own for the first time. My new flat’s in a noisier area than my parents’ house, but I don’t mind that. The country was perfect for growing up but I was looking for somewhere with a bit more life to it and I’m only five minutes from work, (24)_________ was my main motive for moving. You have to alter your priorities (25)__________, when you live alone. I used to worry about having the latest gadget or fashion, but now I have to save to pay bills. I also have to manage my time better to fit in shopping and cooking. Can you believe, I’ve even put together a cleaning rota, because you have to keep on (26)_____________ of the chores.



KEY


1. exactly

 

 

 

2. Between

 

 

3. cope

 

 

4. to

 

get to somebody ​(informal) to annoy or affect somebody.

E.g.

The pressure of work is beginning to get to him.  

His incessant whistling really gets to me.   Sp.   Su incesante silbido realmente me molesta 

 

 

 

5. for

 

yearn for sth: desire. Sp. anhelar, desear.

E.g.

I yearn for a home-cooked meal.  Sp.    Anhelo comer comida casera. 

 

 

6. far

be few and far between: to be rare. 

E.g.

Jobs are few and far between at the moment.

These days, public telephone boxes are few and far between.  Sp. En estos días las cabinas telefónicas son contadas. 

 

 

 

7. would/  'd 

 

 

 

8. buy

provisions: supplies of food and drink, especially for a long journey.

E.g.

We have enough provisions to last us two weeks.     

We went into town to stock up on provisions.

 

 

 

9. connection

 

 

 

10. raise

 

 

 

11. So

 

 

 

12. anywhere

 

 

 

13. of

 

 

 

14. living

 

 

 

15. wildfire

 

 

 

16. off

 

 

 

17. enough

 

 

 

18. for

long for: to want something very much especially if it does not seem likely to happen soon. Sp. anhelar, ansiar.

E.g.

Lucy had always longed for a brother. 

 

 

19. of

 

 

 

20.  doorstep

on the/your doorstep ​very close to where a person lives.

E.g.

The nightlife is great with bars and clubs right on the doorstep. 

 

 

 

21. pace

 

 

22. Growing

 

 

23. on

 

 

 

24. which

 

 

 

25. though

 

 

 

26. top

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.