On Screen C1 p 41. Ex 2. Job satisfaction. Listening

When he takes on a new project they give him a garden as a blank (1)_________

When he finishes the project he gets a huge (2)_____________ 

According to the speaker, her managers were (3)____________

She likes having a (4)_____________  atmosphere where everyone feels motivated.

The man says that the deadlines were very (5)___________

He is no longer interested in climbing the (6)_________/ ________



KEY

 

1. canvas 



2. buzz



buzz: a strong feeling of pleasure, excitement or achievement.

E.g.

a buzz of excitement/expectation
She gets a buzz out of her work.
Flying gives me a real buzz.
You can sense the creative buzz in the city.
The marketing campaign created extraordinary buzz.

 

3. hopeless

 

 

 

4. vibrant 



5. strict




6. career ladder

Script:

Speaker 1
If I’d chosen to do this job for the money, I would have changed my career long ago! So what keeps me going then? Well, I can’t deny that I enjoy working outside a lot - I’d go crazy sitting behind a desk for 8 hours every day! But the thing that gives me the most satisfaction is being given a client’s garden at the beginning of a job as a blank canvas and being able to design it any way I like – with the input of the client of course. I really do see it like a piece of art. I try to make each design unique and I get such a huge buzz at the end when I see that it came together exactly as I imagined.
Speaker 2
One of the reasons I left my old job was the awful atmosphere in the office. No one seemed particularly motivated to do a good job, the managers were hopeless and frankly it seemed like it was a race to get out of the door at 5pm every evening! Now I’m 2 months into my new position as a project manager and things couldn’t be more different. Everyone’s so friendly and helpful and there’s generally such a vibrant, motivated atmosphere that you can’t help but want to do your best. I’ve already achieved some encouraging sales figures and I feel like I’m fitting into the team really well.
Speaker 3
For many years I had a very stressful job. I was the manager of a busy team of five and often had to work evenings and weekends to meet strict production deadlines. One day I just decided I’d had enough and re-trained to become a web designer ... and my own boss! There are moments of stress, but it’s nothing like what I experienced in the past. For the most part I work 9 to 5 and I’m only responsible for my own work, which I really enjoy. Climbing the career ladder used to be really important to me, but if truth be known, I’m so much happier now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.