On Screen C1 p 5 Ex 3. Relationships. True or False. Listening

Copy these four sentences and say if they are true (T) or false (F).

1. She gets on like a house on fire with her grandad.

2. She is thrilled when her mum offers her constructive criticism.

3. She feels better after they have had an argument. 

4. She finds her aunt rather easy going

 

KEY

1. True (I've always been very close to my grandad) 

 

 

 

2. False (She's really good at pointing out when I've made a wrong decision or when my attitude towards something isn't right- which is annoying sometimes.)

 

 

 

3. False (I always feel better about something after we've had a heart-to-heart)

heart-to-heart: 

a conversation in which two people talk honestly about their feelings and personal problems.

E.g.

to have a heart-to-heart with somebody

 

 

4. True (she's really easy to talk things over with and she does it in a non-judgemental way)

non-judgemental: /ˌnɒn ˌdʒʌdʒˈmentl/

avoiding moral judgements; not quick to judge people and criticize them.

E.g. You need to be a more non-judgemental listener.

 

Script

Module page – Exercise 3 (p. 5)
Speaker 1
I’ve always been very close to my grandad, from the time he and my grandmother used to babysit me when I was a little girl. I feel like I can just be who I am with him, without having to explain my every move, like I do sometimes with my parents. I often go with him on Saturday mornings when he takes his little dog Ginger for a walk in the park and we just stroll around enjoying each other’s company. I know I don’t have to impress him or prove anything to him – he just adores me as I am. That’s such a lovely feeling!
Speaker 2
I mostly get on really well with my mum and, in fact, a few people have asked recently if we are sisters! Our relationship has its ups and downs though. At the end of the day, she’s the parent and I’m the child and, ultimately, what she says goes. What’s great, though, is that if we disagree about something, we usually talk it through until we’ve sorted out the problem. She’s really good at pointing out when I’ve made a wrong decision or when my attitude towards something isn’t right – which is annoying sometimes – but I guess in the end this helps me to become a better person.
Speaker 3
I’m very close to my older sister. We have a lot in common and there’s only fifteen months between us, so we have many of the same friends. We often watch TV and have a laugh together in the evenings, which really helps me to relax after I’ve finished studying. The best thing about having a sibling you’re really close to, though, is having someone to talk to when you’re going through a difficult time. I feel like Hayley always understands me and I always feel better about something after we’ve had a heart-to-heart.
Speaker 4
I love my aunt. She’s a lot of fun and I always look forward to her visits. She’s led an exciting life. She’s travelled everywhere volunteering for causes for the needy. She’s done some special work along the way and has experienced so many things on her travels. I love listening to her stories, they teach you not just about the places she has seen but also a lot about life lessons. She’s really easy to talk things over with and she does it in a non-judgmental way. In fact, she has helped me decide what path I want to take for my future. 

ultimately/ˈʌltɪmətli/   

1.in the end; finally.

E.g. 

A poor diet will ultimately lead to illness.
He is ultimately responsible for the actions of the rebels he leads
Ultimately, you'll have to make the decision yourself. 

 

2. Basically. At the most basic and important level.

E.g.

All life depends ultimately on oxygen.
Ultimately, however, films come down to their stories and characters.

 


talk something through: ​to discuss something carefully and completely until you are sure you understand it.

E.g.

It sounds like a good idea but we’ll need to talk it through.


talk something over to discuss a problem with someone before deciding what to do.  

E.g.

Talk over any worries with your GP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.