Outcomes Advanced p 85. MY WORK ETHIC. Extra Cloze


MY WORK ETHIC

Working to support myself at university did, on reflection, stand me in good (1) __________ for life after graduation. I’ve never been one to skive (2) __________ anything and have already crammed as much into each day as I could. I guess I’ve always been someone who takes things in their (3) __________ and snapped up any opportunity that has come my way. Looking back, I feel a great (4) __________ of self-respect for getting myself through my studies without incurring any debts but I’ll admit it wasn’t always plain sailing. The reality that I needed to improve my time management only really occurred to me, for example, after I scraped (5) __________ my first year exams. Ultimately, though, I think personality has (6) __________ a huge role in my success. I’ve always been the kind of person to take pleasure (7) __________ whatever I do, whether it’s for work or play. Sometimes people have been surprised (8) __________ my ability to manage my time so effectively and have also asked (9) __________ I get my energy from. I think most of it I (10) __________’ve inherited from my parents. Their work ethic and attitude towards life have, I feel, had a great impact (11) __________ me and steered me down the path I’ve since taken. When they first emigrated here, they had nothing but now they’re the proud owners of a successful restaurant downtown. They’ve always taken great (12) __________ in what they do and have taught me always to (13) __________ the best of things. They also taught me never to take (14) __________ for an answer – which is something, I think, that has opened far more doors than I will ever fully appreciate.


KEY

1. stead 
stand somebody in good stead
to be useful or helpful to somebody when needed. E.g. Your languages will stand you in good stead when it comes to finding a job.



2 off 
skive: to avoid work or school by staying away or leaving early. E.g.  ‘Where's Tom?’ ‘Skiving as usual.’ skive off She always skives off early on Fridays. I always skived off school when I could. skive something I skived the last lecture.




3 stride 




4 sense 



5 through 

scrape through | scrape through something
/skreɪp/
to succeed in doing something with difficulty, especially in passing an exam. E.g. I might scrape through the exam if I'm lucky.




6 played 



7 in 
  pleasure (in something/in doing something) He takes no pleasure in his work.


8 by/at 



9 where 



10 must 



11 on 



12 pride 



13 make 
make the best of something/it, make the best of things, make the best of a bad job
to accept a bad or difficult situation and do as well as you can



14 no

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.